24 Week Routine Doctor Appointment, or So I Thought

Well, it had to be going too well to be true. We went yesterday (Wednesday) for our biweekly appointment at the doctor, and I never left! First of all, the tech scanned the babies and measured their growth. They are all still measuring ahead, and weigh over a pound and a half each! Good news! Then she did the usual cervix check. Unfortunately it had shortened by roughly a centimeter. Bad news! She called the doctor in and he said we had to go upstairs for monitoring. To me, that meant lets go upstairs to put you on a monitor for contractions for like an hour and then you can go home. I haven’t been having any contractions, and felt fine! Little did I know that I was getting admitted and I’d at least be staying overnight.

I was so bummed! Today we were supposed to celebrate viability, when the quads had a chance of survival if born, and where they would give me meds to stop labor Nd steroid shots for the babies. We had a great plan of bringing home dinner, along with an ice cream cake decorated with a big 24 on it. That plan went out the window!

Once I was in my room upstairs, I got all dolled up in a beautiful, ill-fitting hospital gown and hooked up to a monitor. Turns out I was having contractions every three minutes! I didn’t even feel some of them, and didn’t realize that what I did feel was a contraction! I’d been having them here and there over the last month or so, and just thought it was pressure from having four babies crammed in there. So two different doctors came in and did two separate checks of my cervix. I was 1cm dilated, but he said that could be from already having a baby. What he didn’t tell me until later was that my cervix was now soft and that with the shortening and the contractions was a cause for concern.

He had me drink a couple pitchers of water but that didn’t help. All it did was make me have to disconnect the monitor every 20 minutes to go pee! So then I got an IV for fluids and a catheter so I wouldn’t have to get up constantly! I also got a 10mg pill of Procardia, a medication to stop contractions. That pill sucked – it gave me such heartburn! Then I got a lovely, excruciating steroid shot in my rear to help the babies’ lungs develop. I so despise getting stuck everywhere! But we did have some good movies to watch – The Sweetest Thing, She’s All That,

By this time it was 730pm and I was starving but not allowed to eat until the contractions spaced out more. I’d had only a protein bar at 330pm and just a small lunch at noon before that! You can’t deprive a pregnant lady of food for so long! Brian left around nine, and finally at 930pm I got another Procardia because the first one wasn’t working, and they told me I could eat. The nurse said she would try to hunt me down a dinner tray. In the meantime I had a snack I had in my bag and finally got dinner at 1040pm. It was actually pretty good! Baked chicken, roasted red potatoes and green beans.

Luckily after that second pill the contractions slowed and stopped eventually. At 145am I got another Procardia pill and they took me off the monitor and told me they were going to move me out of the triage L&D department to the antepartum area. At 330am I got to move to a postpartum room because the other section is being renovated. It’s a nice room! Not huge but decorated like a hotel and a great view of the park across the street. I put in my order for meals for the next day, which was so much fun. I went nuts! The nurse told me I could pick anything and everything I want. So I ordered two meals and two desserts for each meal. I’d rather have too much! I also had to order tv, which is ridiculous! Six bucks to activate and and $6.50 a day, but there was no way I was going to be without tv, even for a day. That sounds sad, but I was glad I got it, because I slept a half an hour from that point on.

At 615am I got another Procardia, and the attending doctor came in. He was happy my contractions had stopped, and said I would get a second steroid shot at 730 tonight, then he would ask my doctor if I could go home after that. I was so relieved, and had my hopes up until my doctor came in at 8am and told me since my cervix was soft I’d have to stay here for at least a week. I’d get the Procardia every six hours, more steroid shots and monitoring for contractions twice a day. The only good thing was that I could be taken off the IV and have the catheter removed. I was so deflated, and felt ready to lose it. A whole week? One day away from my son was too much. That was the worst part for me, being away from my son. For some reason I wasn’t worried about the quads, just my son.

I was so happy when my husband brought him to visit at 10 this morning. t first he was weirded out by the machines and stuff, but soon we were cuddling on the couch sugaring a snack and some Bubble Guppies. I am so thankful that my husband went into work last night until 2am so he could be home today with our son.

So today I’ve been monitoring my urination (fun) because my doctor thinks I’m peeing too much too often. Not sure what that means, other than I’m drinking a ton! I didn’t have contractions during monitoring this morning, but before lunch I had some. Luckily they were mild and spaced out where there wasn’t too many. It’s 330pm and I just keep thinking about that dreaded steroid shot tonight and watching my beloved tv. No good movies like yesterday, but it passes the time!

I’ll try to update every day so the posts don’t get as long as this one. Please just keep my family in your thoughts and hopefully I’ll be home soon!

11 thoughts on “24 Week Routine Doctor Appointment, or So I Thought

  1. I tried to comment on this yesterday but alas my stupid phone!! Don’t feel at all guilty for having to leave your little boy. He will certainly be glad you did what you had to once he’s playing with his little brothers and sisters. πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s